From the University of Melbourne Archives:
With generous support from the Hugh Williamson Foundation and the Joyce Thorpe Nicholson Bequest three new research fellowships are available from the University of Melbourne in 2015.
The Hugh Williamson Foundation is supporting two fellowships for Victorian residents to carry out research using the University of Melbourne Archives collection. Each fellowship is for $15,000, one will be awarded to a researcher in regional Victoria.
The Joyce Thorpe Nicholson bequest is supporting a $10,000 research fellowship in the field of women’s studies. Applicants are encouraged to use the rich resources of the University of Melbourne collections to support their research.
More information about the fellowships, criteria, expected outcomes and closing dates is available on the University of Melbourne Archives website.
Applications close 18 July 2015.
Information for applicants
- Applications are invited from researchers throughout Victoria, with one fellowship to be awarded to a researcher from Regional Victoria. Applicants must document their capacity to produce research to a high standard (resume and contact details for two referees)
- Written research proposals (600 words) will be assessed with regard to:
- use of the Archives collections
- originality and significance of the proposal
The project proposal should fulfil two or more of the following criteria. The project will
- Enhance exposure of the Archives to a wider research community
- Promote engagement with Victorian communities
- Contribute to research, teaching and learning or engagement at the University of Melbourne
- Further the Archives’ goals including innovative digital and online access to collections
It is expected that applicants will prepare their research proposal by investigating the potential of Archives’ holdings to further their research by searching online catalogues and discussion with an archivist. The principal collection/s to be used must be named with the research proposal.
- Applicants are expected to present a seminar, lecture or creative work (including performance) based on the outcomes of the research, and/or publish an article or other type of publication. The University of Melbourne Archives will announce the appointment of Fellows online, and publicise the work in consultation with the Fellow.
- Fellows will conduct their research at the Reading Room on the University of Melbourne campus and will have access to the Scholars room in the Baillieu Library for private study. Support will be provided to Fellows by archivists throughout the period of the Fellowship
- Fellows must complete all access forms required by Archives and observe copyright obligations and any restrictions regarding access or use that may be indicated by Archives’ staff